Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Beth's DT Challenge and a Flower Tutorial too!

Everyone needs a little "Round TUIT", especially after the holidays and you can get one of your very own right here!  Once you have it... you won't have any reason not to join us at the Memorable Seasons forum for the "Round TUIT" challenge.



Here are the details of the challenge... 

Almost all of us have them… that group of photographs that we’ve been meaning to scrapbook but just haven’t gotten “Round Tuit”. You probably have a variety of reasons you haven’t scrapped those photographs yet, perhaps you haven’t found the right paper, embellishments, you lack inspiration or just haven’t found the time. Whatever the reason, close your eyes (no peeking!) and pull out one photograph (or more if you are exceptionally brave) from the pile. Consider this the moment you finally got “Round TUIT” and scrap that photo(s). Then choose at least two of the following additions:

1. On your layout, journal about the reasons why you haven’t gotten around to scrapbooking this photograph yet.
2. Use the “Round TUIT” graphic (right click on the graphic above to save to your computer) somewhere on your page.
3. Use the words “Procrastinate” or “Round TUIT in your title.
4. Use at least two different color cardstocks or patterned papers on your page.
5. Use products on your layout that are at least six months old, that you haven’t gotten around to using before now.

To complete this challenge, I first started by sticking my hand in a ziplock bag of photographs I had waiting at the ready to scrapbook (but hadn't yet, because I didn't have my "Round TUIT" yet!). I also decided to take on all the additions to this challenge by writing the journal piece about why I hadn't yet scrapped the photo (before now), used the "Round TUIT" graphic, added more than two different patterned papers which also happened to be papers that I've had since this past spring but just hadn't gotten around to using them yet.  You can buy them right here at the Memorable Seasons online store! (tip: see the complete supplies list at the bottom of this post that I used to create this layout, I've included links to the Memorable Seasons store to help find the supplies you need to create your own layout.)



Here's a close-up of the journal block, you can click on it for a size large enough to read.



I also incorporated Plaid (Mod Podge Sparkle and Pop Dots).



Both of these photos (above and below) provide a better look at the flower embellishments I created using Mod Podge Sparkle.  See all that pretty glitter? I have to tell you that I have never gotten along so well with glitter until I used in this form! Plaid created a real winner with this product! Below, I'll show you how to make these easy layered flowers in five steps.


I created the flourish that you see in the above photograph using my Cricut and the Accent Essentials cartridge. I also used my Cuttlebug to add the embossing on the leaves, I love how it provides subtle dimension to the project.

Here is how I created these simple glitter flowers with patterned paper and Mod Podge in five easy steps...



Step One:  Die Cut various flower shapes to create multi-layered flowers.  I used Sizzix Flower Layers and Beautiful Blooms Die Cuts from Papertrey Ink. "Paint" each flower front with Mod Podge "Sparkle" and let dry.


Step Two: Carefully crumple up each flower layer to create texture and then smooth back out for layering.


Step Three:  Assemble layers using Pop Dots.


Step Four:  Add rhinestones to the top of each flower layer.


Step Five:  Die cut and emboss leaves (I used my Cuttlebug) and attach to flowers when you assemble your project.

I hope you join us for this fun challenge at Memorable Seasons blog and forum this week. 

Supplies Used:
Cardstock: Discount Cardstock: "Brilliant White 80# 12 x 12"
Adhesives: Plaid: "Mod Podge Sparke", All Night Media: "Mini Pop Dots" and "Pop Dots"
Patterned Paper: Jillibean Soup: Coordinating Egg Drop Soup Paper "Ground Ginger", "White Pepper", "Sesame Oil", "Egg Yolk"
Embellishments: Studio Calico Kit: Japanese Tape, My Mind's Eye: Fine and Dandy "Tickled Pink Bling", American Crafts: Thickers "Delight", Dear Lizzy and American Crafts: Remarks "Dimensional Stickers Flutter", Hero Arts: Pearls
Other Tools: ProvoCraft: Cuttlebug and Embossing Folder, ProvoCraft: Cricut Expressions Electronic Die Cut Machines with "Accent Esentials" cartridge, Making Memories: Paper Reveries "Butterflies", Sizzix: Die Cut "Flower Layers", Papertrey Ink: Dies, "Beautiful Blooms", "Delightful Dahlia"

1 comment:

Jill said...

WOW Beth, this an outstanding tutorial! I can't wait to try it myself. Thanks for posting it!