Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Let's talk about cards

Let's face it. Scrapbooking is not an inexpensive hobby. I know I have a tendency to spend more than I should on pretty paper and embellishments only to not use all of them on my layouts. I have found the best way to use up those scraps is to make cards. I also have a tendency to hoard stamps that never make it onto my layouts. Those are perfect for cardmaking.

My favorite size for cards is 5.5”x4.25". That is simply an 8.5x11 piece of cardstock cut in two which will make two cards. I buy the lighter weight white or ivory cardstock from the office supply store in bulk. Those are perfect for matting photos or typing journaling as well as cardmaking. This card fits in the size A2 envelope which is also available in bulk from the office supply. Sometimes, they are called invitation envelopes. If you take an 8.5 x 11 piece and just fold it in half, the A9 envelope is the correct fit. Those are called (fittingly) greeting card envelopes.

I know many of you have commented that you hate putting all that work into cards only to have the recipient toss it aside and not appreciate the gesture. I agree there are some who don't appreciate it but there are many many more who love the idea of you making something especially for them. It is truly a gift from your heart.

Remember that there are rules about mailing cards through the USPS. Envelopes must be rectangular and no smaller than 3.5” high x 5 inches long and no larger than 6 1/8” high x 11 ½” long. They must also be no thicker than 1/4" to be mailed at regular postage rates. Anything deviating from that or an irregular shape like a square will require extra postage as they must be handled by hand. That is why I tend to make flat cards for mailing. If I am going to hand a card to someone in person, I may add more embellishments like flowers or brads or ribbons.

The design team has agreed to start adding more cards to the gallery. I hope you will join us in using up our scraps. Look for a special announcement about cards at the crop!

Here are some sources for card ideas.

Jillibean Soup's Cards on Monday


Pagemaps



and Hero Arts Blog

No comments: