Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Traditions

How was your 4th of July weekend? Mine was filled with food and family and fun. For the last 25 years or so, my brothers and sisters and our cousins have gotten together on the 4th of July. We eat lots of yummy food, swim in the pool (this year it was the lake) and take lots of pictures. It has become a tradition that I look forward to. Most of us have traditions that are linked to major holidays and I know I always get a scrapbook page or two from the many pictures I take. However, have you thought to document the little traditions in your family that no one else may know about?

Several things come to mind as I sit here and think about it. Do you have a special bedtime ritual with your children? Do you always say grace before meals, even at restaurants? Do you meet up with your college room mate every June for margaritas? My family has lunch at my mother's house on the last Sunday of every month. When my kids were young enough to go to day care, we would go for a sno-cone every Friday afternoon when I picked them up during the summer. They still ask if I want to go with them today even though they are all grown up. My husband and I eat go out to dinner every Sunday night after church. It is our special date night.

I bet you can think of lots of things you do on a regular basis that you haven't documented, yet. Write them down. Take pictures. Make a special page or mini book so you can look back some day and remember those things that make your family unique. Share them with us in the gallery. I look forward to seeing what your traditions are.

No comments: