Monday, April 13, 2009

Quote Junkie

I am a quote junkie. I actively look for them. I cut them out of magazines and newspapers. I write them down on napkins and scraps of paper that I leave lying around. I love them. I subscribe to four different sites that send quotes to my email inbox everyday. One of my favorite things to do is share them with you on my blog. I simply call it “Quote of the Day.” I’ve used them on layouts and in mini books and I designed a calendar for my extended family a couple of years ago using my own photographs with appropriate quotes.

My obsession is not just with famous person quotes. I like literary quotes like lines from poetry and novels and children’s books. I like song lyrics. A few people whose quotes I am often drawn to are Mother Teresa, TS Eliot, Maya Angelou and EE Cummings. I really like Dr. Seuss, too. My all time favorite place to get quotes from, though, is Brian Andreas and the Story People. His stuff is off the wall, kind of wacky but often so very true that I feel like I could have said it, myself. I found one of his books and some of his prints in a gift shop once and became smitten. Here are just a few I have used.

"It's hard to love the ordinary things, she said, but you get lots of opportunities to practice."

"There are little scraps of magic & when you paste them together you get a memory of something fine and strong, she said. Sometimes it takes till you're 40 to see it, though."

and then there is the one that describes my own love story,
"you're the strangest person I ever met, she said and I said you, too and we decided we would know each other a long time."

When I feel the need for a quote to illustrate a point or a photo, I open my browser and type in a word or a phrase or a feeling that I want to convey plus the word quotes and lots of possibilities will pop up. I generally have the best luck finding what I need on thinkexist.com. Other good sites include inspirationalquotes.com and quotegarden.com.

The sites that I get daily doses of quotes from are Story People, Real Simple Daily Thought, Quotes of the Day and Motivational Quotes of the Day.

Real Simple’s thought for Monday, April 13 seemed very appropriate to use since we are an artistic group who use colors to convey our thoughts and feelings and preserve our memories.

"I try to apply colors like words that shape poems, like notes that shape music."

―Joan MirĂ³

2 comments:

Corey said...

I'm glad you posted those links..most of the time the title or words seem like the hardest part of scrapbooking. I'll have to take a look. :)

Jill said...

This is great Detta. I'm going to save these links!